High memory usage

Peants68 16:30 PM 26 Jan 12

I am running Win 7 64bit and have 16GB of DDR3 ram. However I receive messages my IE is using high memory.

What does this mean and how do I cure it?

difarn 18:02 PM 26 Jan 12

This is a feature of your anti virus programme which keeps a record of average usage and then warns the user if this increases.

This can happen because you have a lot of tabs open at the same time. It can also be because you have a lot of add-ons. It maybe because you have downloaded large images. When you get this message try closing down any browsers - this should help.

It is not necessarily anything to worry about - just your anti virus doing it's job. It is normal for some programmes, particularly browsers, to occasionally require more system resources.

Only if a programme continually continues to demand a very high percentage of system resources over a prolonged period of time should you be worried.

difarn 18:27 PM 26 Jan 12

As an afterthought why don't you try another browser, Firefox or Chrome - reports of IE8 and IE9 warn of high CPU usage.

Peants68 20:01 PM 26 Jan 12

Thankyou difarn. Very kind to reply so quickly. I get the message when I browse EBay products extensively. This fits with your comments. I now know not to worry about it.

Much appreciated.

difarn 21:44 PM 26 Jan 12

Glad to help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites