Help w/unauthorized access

bones1 16:14 14 Dec 14

I was a one computer home for a long time, then added another person and compoter to the home, on the same wireless signal. When I set the computer up for this person, I wanted to be able to share some music and stuff with them. I am Admin on the system. I dont know what I did, but it seems I somehow gave them more than access than I intended. They have made references to file names in my computer that could only be obtained by spending a long time, cruising thru thousands of sensitive Word, PDF, and other files. I dont know how to make sure they have NO access to anything on my computer, by remote access of some sort. They have admitted at one point, that they did have limited access to a few file by remote somehow, when cornered. But how. More important, now do I stop it. This person is not a computer wiz at all, niether am I, but slighlty better. I will not be able to count on a honest answer as to is the problem fixed or not. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 14 Dec 14

To stop access to your network and internet, change your routers wireless password.

To allow access to the internet only you need to makesure your drives are not "shared"

what operating system are you using?

bones1 22:45 14 Dec 14

I am using Windows 7. How do I make sure my drivers are not shared? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:51 14 Dec 14

Turn off File Sharing

On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

In the left panel, click Change Advanced Sharing Settings, then click the arrow next to Home or Work.

Check the following settings: Network Discovery: Off. File and Printer Sharing: Off. ...

Click Save Changes.

bones1 02:16 15 Dec 14

OK great, what about public folder sharing, I think these might be incorrect on my computer also. Thank you. Also, once I change these settings back, is there a way to password protect this particular area of Windows settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant