help with upgrade to vist home premium.

25paul 13:52 01 Feb 07

I ran the upgrade advisor tool which said I could upgrade from xp to vista home premium. I intended to do an ‘upgrade in-place’ so that my settings and applications would be retained.
I ran the installation disc and can get as far as
the window which asks 'what type of installation do you want ? and it states that 'upgrade has been disabled.'
'to upgrade windows your hard disk partition must be formatted to NTFS.
to reformat the partition, open Command Prompt and then type: convert C:/fs:ntfs.
i tried this but it then asks to enter current volume label for drive C:
where do i find this ?

any help would be much appreciated.

PaulB2005 14:07 01 Feb 07

Already answered it on your previous post.

click here

25paul 14:11 01 Feb 07

thanks paul, i'll try that.

25paul 14:48 01 Feb 07

what you suggested worked paul. but now it says 'convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. would you like to force a dismount on this volume ? (y/n)
how should i proceed ?

PaulB2005 14:49 01 Feb 07

yes

However this would be best run from the Recovery Console. Boot up with your XP CD and select the option to load the Recovery Console.

25paul 15:00 01 Feb 07

i dont have an xp cd. xp was loaded when i got the computer

25paul 15:09 01 Feb 07

i entered y and its now saying 'convert failed to dismount the volume.convert cannot gain exclusive access to the C:drive. so it cannot convert now. would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts (y/n) ?

PaulB2005 15:26 01 Feb 07

It really needs to be done outside of Windows. Can you borrow a CD to run the Recovery Console?

25paul 15:34 01 Feb 07

hi paul. i think ive done something i shouldnt of.i typed y restarted the computer. it started to convert to ntfs but then it listed several files that were damaged or missing and said it was unable to convert to ntfs. i have a built in card reader and these drives have disappeared from my computer screen and some programs trhat ive tried wont run now. have i done irrepairable damage ?

PaulB2005 15:36 01 Feb 07

System Restore?

25paul 15:37 01 Feb 07

ok i'll try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced