Help please: XP Pro & Vista Dual Boot

Ben 216 12:50 16 Apr 07

Hi, I have two SATA drives, one containing XP Pro and one currently used as storage. I want to install Vista on my second drive, and dual boot them.

How easy is it to set up dual boot with two separate drives?

I've read that Vista can mess with the XP install and removes the boot.ini file. Is installing Vista likely to cause any problems with XP? If it is I might try dual booting at a later date and use the BIOS to switch XP/Vista drives for the moment. If I did this can I set up dual boot at a later date without re-installing Vista?

A lot of questions I know, but I've never dual booted before, and I think Vista's just complicated it all. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

thms 17:29 16 Apr 07

I have Vista dual booting with XP Pro 64.

If you install Vista on your second drive it will automatically set up a dual boot system.

It will always boot to Vista as default you however have the option to boot to previous windows. This will be your XP Pro.

Vista does overwrite your boot.ini file.
The only way you would have problems with this is if you were to re-install XP or remove Vista.

ashdav 17:33 16 Apr 07

removing Vista and getting back to XP is not a problem click here
Remember that if you do an upgrade from XP to Vista it's a one way street and there's no going back.

Ben 216 20:16 16 Apr 07

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017