HD to SSD Win 7 transfer

fpg 19:59 PM 30 May 12

Will MS permit transferring Win 7 HP from a HD to an SSD drive - any licence difficulties? I want to do a clean instal. My Win 7 is OEM and came with the new Medion PC as an upgrade disk from the installed Vista All advice would be appreciated

KRONOS the First 08:47 AM 31 May 12

No you will have no problems, it might be necessary to activate via the phone as opposed to online but this is simple and free.

fpg 17:49 PM 02 Jun 12

Thanks for advice - Win7 64bit now installed. The remaining issue is with tne Epson 1650 scanner it seems to have no driver that enables it for Win 7 64 bit. I guess that this is not new. fpg

john bunyan 18:40 PM 02 Jun 12

See other thread . Many devices only have 32 bit drivers and work ok on 64 bit machines, see here and on other thread.

Epson Drivers

fpg 21:22 PM 02 Jun 12

Thanks John but I had visited this Epson site and have downloaded other TWAIN drivers but without success. I also tried the 1670 driver. I have now made a separate posting on tnis issue of 64bit non-compat problems.

KRONOS the First 07:08 AM 03 Jun 12

Try a Vista driver if there is one.

fpg 20:00 PM 03 Jun 12

Thanks Chronus, yes tried Vista but it is the 64 bit aspect that is THE problem. (Or Epson killing off oldish scanners to create a new market and so they will not write the needed driver)

fpg 20:09 PM 03 Jun 12

CORRECTION ! Not Epson in above post but Canon. But I think that 64 bit drivers are absent elswhere not just Canon.

rdave13 23:19 PM 03 Jun 12

Have a look at the free version of VueScan9

fpg 11:35 AM 05 Jun 12

Thanks to all - I have follwed many links and one has been a SUCCESS ! rdave13 your suggestion to visit Vuescan was very interesting. I downloaded the program and had an easy install. It worked without any problems. So if Vuescan can write a Win7 64 bit driver that works with old scanners (Canon 1650) it does raise questions re the non-customer support policies of the large manufactures. A happy ending and thanks to PCADVISOR also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know