HD to SSD Win 7 transfer

fpg 30 May 12

Will MS permit transferring Win 7 HP from a HD to an SSD drive - any licence difficulties? I want to do a clean instal. My Win 7 is OEM and came with the new Medion PC as an upgrade disk from the installed Vista All advice would be appreciated

KRONOS the First 31 May 12

No you will have no problems, it might be necessary to activate via the phone as opposed to online but this is simple and free.

fpg 02 Jun 12

Thanks for advice - Win7 64bit now installed. The remaining issue is with tne Epson 1650 scanner it seems to have no driver that enables it for Win 7 64 bit. I guess that this is not new. fpg

john bunyan 02 Jun 12

See other thread . Many devices only have 32 bit drivers and work ok on 64 bit machines, see here and on other thread.

Epson Drivers

fpg 02 Jun 12

Thanks John but I had visited this Epson site and have downloaded other TWAIN drivers but without success. I also tried the 1670 driver. I have now made a separate posting on tnis issue of 64bit non-compat problems.

KRONOS the First 03 Jun 12

Try a Vista driver if there is one.

fpg 03 Jun 12

Thanks Chronus, yes tried Vista but it is the 64 bit aspect that is THE problem. (Or Epson killing off oldish scanners to create a new market and so they will not write the needed driver)

fpg 03 Jun 12

CORRECTION ! Not Epson in above post but Canon. But I think that 64 bit drivers are absent elswhere not just Canon.

rdave13 03 Jun 12

Have a look at the free version of VueScan9

fpg 05 Jun 12

Thanks to all - I have follwed many links and one has been a SUCCESS ! rdave13 your suggestion to visit Vuescan was very interesting. I downloaded the program and had an easy install. It worked without any problems. So if Vuescan can write a Win7 64 bit driver that works with old scanners (Canon 1650) it does raise questions re the non-customer support policies of the large manufactures. A happy ending and thanks to PCADVISOR also.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message