Hardrive "vanishing"

hiwatt 08:15 21 May 07

Hi folks,my girlfriend has a brand new computer(packard bell amd athalon 64 3800+ 766 mb of ram,160gb hardrive)Every other day or so the hardrive is loosing a gig.Yesterday there was 118gb of 141gb?and today there's a 117gb left,yet I've downloaded nothing execept a norton update.This has been hapening for a couple of weeks?The "index this drive for faster searching" box is ticked and the "compress this drive to save disc space" is not ticked,any help is much appreciated.Thanks.

have you tried click here

hiwatt 13:58 21 May 07

Yeah I use ccleaner but the thing is,I'm not downloading anything(except some music files less than 1 gig) yet it's went from 124gig to 117gig.

hiwatt 17:02 22 May 07

I've just looked at my hardrive and it's showing 115 gig free.When I posted this on sunday there was 117 gig free and absolutley nothing has been downloaded.At this rate in a few months there will be no space left.Can anyone help me out here?The only thing that is running is norton live update,can this really be causing this?Any help is much appreciated.

the folder containing mine is 31.7 mb and has been around that since i installed it las july, with autoupdates etc all turned on. is it system restore possibly?

hiwatt 17:21 22 May 07

I don't know if it's system restore or not.I'm not really that clever with computers.Is it possible that system restore can take up 2gb every 2 days?

not sure with vista, i use xp with restore turned off. click on 'my computer' right click on you c drive and hang the mouse over the various folders (think this is the same with vista) and it will tell you the size of their contents.

sorry right click the hard drive and select explore then hang the mouse over

hiwatt 17:42 22 May 07

The hardrive has 4 folders(drivers,program files,users,and windows)and added up they are under 10gb.It's now went from 115gb to 114gb.I can't understand what's causing this.

Kate B 17:48 22 May 07

Temp folders and caches, I suspect.

well i guess the av program is in program files, i can only guess at restore or recovery. hopefully someone can offer some better advice. i use ghost and i know restore confuses hp machines using xp. when i used vista it did take up a much larger chunk of hdd space compared to xp. as i say hopefully someone can shed some light on this or may tell you what their hard drive usage is
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5