Hard Drive Partition Not Supported

kinger 11:16 11 Jan 08

I am trying to back up my vista drive to an external HDD using Acronis True Image.

However, instead of MBR partition for mapping the drive, the external drive is formatted using GUID system (apple mac, I believe).

Windows does not support this but does tell you how to convert from GUID to MBR (Windows uses this system).

This is my problem. The GUID is in 'protected mode' and windows can't do anything with it as all the options in 'Disk Management' are greyed out.

Windows can see the partition but can't work on it.

Apple Mac system can see it, tell me what it is, but can't delete it.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this protected partition so that I can back up my computer using it?

Monument 13:37 11 Jan 08

Vista fully supports GPT and as can be seen from click here

in particular

"16. Can Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?
Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for EFI-based systems."

kinger 14:50 11 Jan 08

Thanks for your reply. Very comprehensive explanation and something I didn't know.

Acronis True Image states that it is an unsupported drive and, therefore, the backup cannot be restored using the boot media disks.

The way around it must be to coninue with the backup but, when failure happens, install an operating system and run a newly installed version of True Image from drive C.

I think I'll change the backup drive to a FAT32 type (smile).

Thanks Monument, once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac