Got Win 7 32 bit and want 64 bit

bemuzed 11:40 AM 08 Nov 09

Hi - I bought an Acer laptop with Vista 32 bit and took advantage of the upgrade offer to Win 7. I hoped for two discs; one offering a 32 bit upgrade and another allowing a clean install of 64 bit (which other folks seem to have been sent). Instead I got a 32 bit disc. I have upgraded to 32 bit Win 7. Any suggestions on cheapest way to get 64 bit Win 7?

Pine Man 13:43 PM 08 Nov 09

As far as I am aware there would be nothing wrong in borrowing a copy and installing it with your product key.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:47 PM 08 Nov 09

I thought both versions were on the same DVD.

Pine Man 13:57 PM 08 Nov 09

Separate DVDs in my case.

bemuzed 14:59 PM 08 Nov 09

I only got one DVD and that was a 32 bit upgrade and I have registered the key for that.

GaT7 15:28 PM 08 Nov 09

I think according to their rules, as you originally had a 32-bit OS installed, they can only send you a 32-bit upgrade. This is because one cannot technically upgrade a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit one. One can probably do a clean install with a 64-bit upgrade disk, but not an 'upgrade' install.

The cheapest way to an upgrade disk is if you or a family member is a student that meets these criteria click here. If yes, then you can have 64-bit Win7 for £35 click here (strangely there's no Home Premium). Install instructions click here.

If not a student, then it's ~£60 click here & click here. G

GaT7 15:32 PM 08 Nov 09

If you're installing 64-bit for no particular reason (i.e. just for the novelty factor), it would be best to stick to 32-bit & save your money. G

Kevscar1 15:56 PM 08 Nov 09

Unless you are going to increase your RAM to 8GB you will find having 64bit makes no difference

bemuzed 16:25 PM 08 Nov 09

Got 4G memory and win 7 only seems to see 3G.

gazzaho 05:52 AM 09 Nov 09

I purchased the Windows 7 Upgrade Family Pack, which came with 32 and 64 bit versions on separate disks, I was able to install Windows 7 64-bit onto the same drive Vista 32-bit was on, on my desktop machine. I had no problem installing or activating it at all.

I didn't install Windows 7 upgrade by running it from inside Vista, I booted from the DVD and selected custom install and at the end had a windows.old folder which relates to Vista on the drive, which I've now deleted to free up space. I guess booting from DVD and selecting custom installation would be considered a clean install and I can confirm it will upgrade Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.

Kevscar1 07:44 AM 09 Nov 09

bemuzed How much ram has your graphics card got.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know