Getting files off XP HD to Vista laptop

southpaw 20:58 14 Nov 07

Hi

My old laptop died (motherboard fault) so I purchased an external HD kit and put my old hard drive into that.

I now have a new laptop which has Vista.

I connect the HD via USB to the laptop and am able to see my files on the ext HD.

BUT each time I try and access the files I get a denied permission error message. How can I gain access to my files?

paul€ 21:26 14 Nov 07

I have been trying to do something similar for months. Even trying to take control of the files as an administrator fails to give me permission to copy some of the files.

I even setup a dual boot option to transfer the files to XP and then drag them from the partition. exactley the same. No go.

It's quicker for me now, to transfer the files to an XP machine, write them to disk or USB stick and then load them on to Vista.

Crazy:-)

mgmcc 08:55 15 Nov 07

You will need to "take ownership" of the files. See if this helps - click here

paul€ 10:19 15 Nov 07

I have tried all of those:-(
Even when I have taken ownership and it asks to re-open the document, an unsecure normal notepad file in this instance, it refuses. click here As it does this with quite a few files:-((

Is this the sort of thing thats happening to your files southpaw?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…