Games crashing pc to restart

raiton12 05:30 18 Dec 14

Hello folks, i've got an issue. I play many games just fine, but for a few of them my computer will randomly black screen and restart itself at any point in the game. It has been happening for games like minimum, space engineers, and most of all battlefield 4. I have looked into it a bit and many say that it is a faulty or failing PSU. How valid does this sound? I'll attach PC details.

Case: ENERMAX HOPLITE Mid-Tower ATX Case click here CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Quad-Core @ 3.5GhZ stock click here Fan: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 click here Asrock 970 Extreme3 click here Memory/RAM: G.SKiLL Sniper 8GB (2x4gb) DDR3-1333 click here Supply: Raidmax Hybrid 2 530W click here Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 click here Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500G 7200RPM click here

CPU MoBo: Power Graphics Hard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 18 Dec 14

valid enough but also could be overheating

have you cleaned it out?

speedfan will show you both temperatures and voltages

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 18 Dec 14
  raiton12 02:24 19 Dec 14

Since I can't send you a picture of what it says, i'll just try to describe it. this reading is from sitting at the desktop with a single google chrome window open. In the program under readings, the right hand box in the middle is showing blue down arrows by all of the things except for my GPU, which has a little fire symbol next to it and says 52C which can't be good. what do?

raiton12 11:27 19 Dec 14

I took some tests running battlefield on low graphic settings, it did not crash as before, I suspect it is due to the lowest possible settings, seeing as it crashed on medium settings. The temperatures went as follows

Over about 20 minutes of battlefield":

CPU 56 to 73 GPU 55 - 71 Core 56 - 80

I also clicked the automatic fan speed button, but it seems to only detect my gpu fan, the rest aren't registering numbers but I am positive they are working.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:08 19 Dec 14

CPU too hot max should be 62 degrees

gaming expect 53 -60 degrees check fans and heat sinks are all clear of dust

raiton12 01:11 21 Dec 14

I dusted my case from top to bottom. Tried running battlefield, it seems that the PCU temperature went higher quicker. It got up to about 90 degrees and it shut down again. I dusted the heat sink and removed the fins and stuff to dust them more thoroughly. Perhaps a new coat of thermal paste is in order.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:43 21 Dec 14

Have you checked between fan and heat sink? a layer of fluff there will cause he problem.

raiton12 15:33 21 Dec 14

I checked, and the thing is there is no fan immediately attached to my heat sink. There is a fan above it, below it on the bottom of the case, to it's left, and then one on the front of the case, but none are actually attached to the heat sink. Also, the current thermal paste is very dry and when i run my finger across it, it does not move. It seems like it's very old and should be replaced. If that's the case, i'm about a ten minute drive from some arctic silver 5.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 21 Dec 14

According to your link to the cooler master there should be a fan on the heat sink (finned cooler)

if you have removed the heat sink from the cpu you will need to clean off the old paste with Isopropyl Alcohol and reapply new paste.

raiton12 03:12 24 Dec 14

Seems that was the issue, there was no fan to be found. It's fixed now though, thanks dude.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac