Free security with W&?

john bunyan 14:00 PM 03 Nov 09

I will install W 7 in a couple of weeks and would be grateful for comments on proposed security etc.
1. Firewall. Using Comodo on XP - Propose to use Windows own on W7 Ult.
2. Anti Virus. Use AVG 8.5 on XP. Propose MS Security Essentials or Avira on W 7.
3. Malware. Use SAS and Malawarebites in XP - continue in W7?
4. CCleaner as usual ?
5. Have ordered ATI 2010 for W7 - using Version 11 at present.
I have downloaded drivers for sound and video cards ant burnt them to disc - they took nearly 2 hrs each at my slow download speed.
I will follow advice to migrate e mail from Outlook Express to Windows Mail.
Just in case I am making a clone of my main disc on an external drive with ATI.
Any lessons from early adopters would be appreciated!!

john bunyan 14:01 PM 03 Nov 09

heading should be W7!!

User-1229748 14:20 PM 03 Nov 09

had used avira on both vista and xp before but when i used vista 64bit and now windows 7 64bit i couldn't get it to update.now using avast with no problems,windows 7 firewall and windows defender.

john bunyan 14:52 PM 03 Nov 09

Thanks - should have mentioned I will use 64 bit. Mooly and others are happy with MS Security Essentials so I will await further comments.

rawprawn 17:27 PM 03 Nov 09

I don't know about the free versions, but both Pro versions conflict on my machine. I have had to abandon Malwarebytes, and I am using A Squared with no problems.

rawprawn 17:29 PM 03 Nov 09

A Squared Free version, but I am going to try
click here
on the 11th

john bunyan 17:51 PM 03 Nov 09

Thanks for info. Which free programme did you mean? Pity about Malawarebytes. Any views on SAS?

rdave13 18:00 PM 03 Nov 09

SAS pro works and the free version of Malwarebytes also works for me. Use it's own firewall with the free version of W7 firewall controller; click here
Also use Defender and Avast.

john bunyan 18:07 PM 03 Nov 09

Thanks. Glad MAB works for you. What's wrong with the W7 built in firewall; ie why does one need the extra controller?

rdave13 18:14 PM 03 Nov 09

Extra control for outgoing.

rawprawn 18:27 PM 03 Nov 09

A Squared free, but as I said I will try the pro version when it's available

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites