Formatted hard drive, still can't boot after reinstalling Windows

ejergs 17:04 30 May 14

Hi,

So, as a result of some amateur, ignorant partitioning/formatting, I seem to have wiped my OS (Windows Vista) - it just sits on a black screen after showing the Toshiba startup screen. I was able to create a Windows 7 boot disc and get to the installation screen. After completing the installation, the computer restarts (as it's supposed to of course), but then it just loads the boot disc again and brings me back to the installation screen. I tried changing the BIOS order to the hard drive I installed Windows onto, but again just got the black screen. Same thing when trying to do this directly from the boot menu. Any suggestions? Any advice would be tremendously appreciated!

lotvic 17:51 30 May 14

Perhaps you made the classic mistake of pressing any key?

Follow this guide (with screenshots) of a W7 reinstall (reinstall as in format a previous used HDD) click here

Now "Press any key" boot menu. Do not do this as it will only start the reinstall from the beginning again. Wait the 10 seconds that it appears on screen and resist the temptation...

You will need a product key for your install of W7.

If not got one then perhaps you could reinstall Vista and use the product key on the base of laptop.

Have you wiped the back to factory recovery partition?

Could do with a few more details of laptop, and what you have done at it, so that alternatives can be advised.

lotvic 17:56 30 May 14

I forgot the obvious - if the installation has completed fully then remove the DVD boot disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…