Forced update to kill XP?

sebina12 13:40 09 Jan 07

I have heard that at some point there will be a very small forced update for XP that more or less disables it and forces the user to upgrade to Vista. Can anyone confirm this? Is there any way to block a forced update of this nature?

Coltch 13:45 09 Jan 07

I think you'll find this is absolute rubbish, it would be illegal for Microsoft to disable the OS to force an upgrade.

Chris-347369 15:37 09 Jan 07

A few years down the line Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP but they will never throw a kill switch.

sebina12 13:44 10 Jan 07

I certainly hope so. There are tons of ports unnecessarily open which I think is cause for concern. One thing I do know, is that Microsoft want to know about everyone who uses their software.

PaulB2005 14:06 10 Jan 07

"One thing I do know, is that Microsoft want to know about everyone who uses their software."

And what exactly do they know about each user?

Kate B 17:27 10 Jan 07

What a gloriously bonkers piece of paranoia. There are millions, if not billions, of Windows users in the world. Microsoft couldn't give a monkey's about people's personal stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…