Force windows to use more RAM

cemopolat 07:14 27 Mar 14

Hi,

I have assigned more than enough RAM for a virtual machine (W7 64 bit guest in Vmware Workstation); 32 GB.

There is no problem but sometimes I notice too much disk activity and CPU usage because of some "heavy" applications.

I wonder if there is a way to force Windows use more RAM to cache applications or related files etc..

• I tried to decrease swap memory (even disabled) but didn't help much.

• I checked prefetch service and it is running

• I increased min. memory for SQL server and other applications' spesific settings, but that didn't help too much either

I appreciate any ideas like some registry settings, fine tunings to maximize RAM usage and minimize disk usage etc.. Or maybe more "low level" settings in registry like disk read/write parameters, cache/block sizes..

Thanks in advance..

Cemo

cemopolat 07:37 27 Mar 14

I forgot to mention average memory usage; It is generally 30% and max 60%. I have never seen it goes more than 60% even under heavy load. That is why I am trying to force Windows to use more RAM and less disk.

ProtectandAccess 06:08 28 Mar 14

It's a good idea. I also notice that PC using maximum of 60% of RAM. It would be better if i could force PC to use more memory. But i don't have idea how to employ it. So i could only add few GB of more RAM in my PC.

TsakiridisStavros 17:22 08 Apr 14

1.Go to Start->Control Panel->System 2.If you see something like this: Usable RAM 1]: [click here press windows logo key + R and type msconfig 4.Go to Boot tab->Advanced Options and check Maximum memory 5.Save and restart your computer

3.Then

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now