Folder options

2neat 09:06 04 Apr 10

hi

want to open documents & settings folder but find it is locked! Was hidden at first! I am an administrator on this pc and can't seem to find how to unlock it.
Not got to grips with 7 yet.....need to read up.

Cheers

BurrWalnut 10:20 04 Apr 10

The location of XP folders like Documents & Settings and History are no longer in the same place. They are displayed when ‘hidden files’ are displayed but they are ‘Junctions‘, i.e. they are there for historical reasons so that old programs that would normally use them are redirected to the new Windows 7 locations. Junctions can be recognised by having a little padlock on the icon and cannot be accessed.

In Windows 7 you can see a list of these folders using a command prompt. Open a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k dir /al (note the three spaces) and press Enter. The results will be a list of all the Junctions for the user folders, showing the name of the old XP user folder and the name of the new folder in brackets.

2neat 11:36 04 Apr 10

OMG, defo need to have a good read on Win 7.
I missed vista & have come straight from XP to a 64 bit op sys.
I am confused with the file system...will take time for me to get my head round.
Thanks BuurWalnut for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…