First boot for new PC build.Step by step required.

2bathred 16:05 14 Feb 08

Now this may sound silly but as this is my 1st try at building from scratch I cannot get my head around first boot I know that you first have to enter the BIOS to set any parameters, most of them, according to the manual are set as Auto anyway so shouldn't be any problems there, BUT everywhere I read says 'put disc in floppy drive' a dying device now and I'm not fitting one. So set the PC to boot from CD/DVD in the BIOS. Am I right? What about drivers for this device as there won't be any loaded. Same goes for the graphic card, they need loading as well and you can't do that without Win Vista being loaded and that needs loading as well. I feel like I'm going round in circles and will soon end up with my head up my ....

Anybody out there to set me straight with an idiot guide steps 1,2,3 etc.?

My brain hurts but the system is:-

ASUS P5K Skt LGA775

INTEL E6750 Core2 Duo 2.66Gz

2GB Kingston HyperX mem DDR2 800Mz

Sapphire HD2600 XT 256Mb GDDR4

llyama DVI Monitor 20"

Sony/NEC AD-7170S Dual Layer SATA

Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250GB SATA

crosstrainer 16:12 14 Feb 08

You are on the right track.

1) Set first boot device as DVD / CD

2) Boot with windows dvd / cd in the drive

3) Install Windows

4) Install any required drivers from the cd that came with your motherboard (you may well find that Windows already has them.

5) Anti-virus / spyware

6) Internet

7) Windows update (make cup of coffee or 2)

Totally-braindead 16:19 14 Feb 08

Very important that you do no 3 then no 4 from above list and do no 4 before you install other things like graphics cards.

Install windows, then the motherboard drivers then anything else.

2bathred 16:24 14 Feb 08

Thanks for that reassurance. One thing I didn't add is it will be on wifi with a USB connector for the Internet and I'm using Windows Live care for AV/Spy (this will be my allowed 3rd PC) so I imagine this will be step 4.
Kids go back to school on Monday so I start building then. Peace and quiet.

crosstrainer 16:30 14 Feb 08

The router / wireless stuff until the end. Sometimes these can be a little fiddly to setup til you get the hang of it :)

2bathred 16:34 14 Feb 08

Thanks to you as well.
I read in a thread from Feb '07 that when you first put power on you should do this before hooking up HDD or CD/DVD devices to see if things work OK. The P5K doesn't mention onboard grahics (I'm sure it has none) so the HD2600 would be in place. Am I OK to follow this advice or what. I can see the logic should anything not work but it gives me cause for concern.

crosstrainer 16:38 14 Feb 08

Has no onboard graphics, install your new card and off you go.

Totally-braindead 16:45 14 Feb 08

It will load a default graphics driver to get a display going and thats fine but don't install the proper graphics drivers until you install the motherboard drivers.

The motherboard drivers might not be needed as crosstrainer said, windows might load the correct ones anyway but if already it has the correct drivers it will tell you. Then you install the graphics drivers.

crosstrainer 16:48 14 Feb 08

You get in the box with your graphics card are always out of date anyway...When all is up and running smoothly, visit the card makers site to download the latest.....But as Totally-braindead points out, the screen will still work...just won't look all that nice til you install the drivers.

pc mike 21:44 14 Feb 08

hi.from mikecom. on the motherboard there is a small round battery.what is it there for.if i take it out.what will happen.when i switch on my pc.as i am new to building compters.thank you from.mikecom,

Totally-braindead 22:04 14 Feb 08

I'll answer pc mike but next time start your own thread do not hijack someone elses. If you start your own thread you will get an email each time someone posts to it until you tick it as resolved.

To answer, the battery on the motherboard is called the CMOS battery, it is there to save the settings you make to the BIOS, things like the speed of the memory, the day, the date what device to boot from all that sort of thing. Take it out and it will lose all the settings and every time you have it disconnected from the mains all settings will be lost and you will have to set them again.

In short don't remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…