Firewall/antivirus

iqs 15:05 25 Jan 08

Hello.Yet another Vista question,sorry I'm new to microsofts new OS.Have been using XP(still am, other Pc)since 2001.Its all new...

Currently I am using Vistas own firewall,I am connected to the net via a Netgear router(hardwired).Is the Vista firewall suitable ,or should I install another ?.

Also do I need anti virus with defender running?.

Cheers all

anskyber 15:09 25 Jan 08

Yes you need an antivirus, many here use the free AVG or the one I like Avast (eg fromclick here ) .

The Windows firewall is fine particularly if you use a router which usually has a hardware firewall as well.

anskyber 15:11 25 Jan 08

I am currently trialling for 90 days the Windows Live OneCare which has reviewed well on PCA and elsewhere click here

iqs 19:41 25 Jan 08

anskyber,thanks for the links.Are any of the antivirus programs, process friendly.I'm after a program which uses no memory except when its running(does not run in the back ground).

Cheers

anskyber 20:05 25 Jan 08

To be able to have real time protection, in other words an anti virus program that is always on guard which you will need, there will be some resource usage and will need to run in the background. It's inevitable.

The ones I have mentioned are however very light on system demand.

Otherwise you will only have a scanner which whilst helpful in finding and removing it nasty could have done its job by then.

iqs 16:20 26 Jan 08

anskyber,have just installed AVG and Ad Aware,sorted .Cheers again,Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…