Firewall for Vista home premium

Koochy 21:57 22 Feb 07

Hi all i have just upgraded to vista home premium and up to now i am very impressed but the question i have is " is the windows firewall still pants as it was with XP and if so can anyone recommend a free third party one that works with vista" as i can't get zone alarm installed

Thanks
Koochy

anskyber 22:40 22 Feb 07

At the moment I do not know of a free (I assume you mean free) 3rd party Vista firewall. I think Zonealarm are hoping to bring something out in March.

In the meantime I am running the Windows firewall which at least is two way rather than the XP one way.

I do not think it will be long before others come out with firewalls.

Koochy 22:43 22 Feb 07

thanks for the reply it looks like its windows firewall then until the others catch up.

Koochy

Jimmy14 22:55 22 Feb 07

If it's got to be free then I can only recommend Windows Live Onecare anti-virus with a built in firewall. The firewall is excellent by the way. 90 day trial here,
click here

anskyber 23:08 22 Feb 07

Thats not free. It's a trial then you have to pay. The firewall part of it is I think the same Vista firewall already with Vista.

Jimmy14 23:12 22 Feb 07

They are totally different firewalls and I know it's not free by saying "90 DAY TRIAL HERE" It's better than sitting with the basic windows firewall for 90 days then a compatible free Vista firewall may be out by then.

Koochy 23:21 22 Feb 07

Thanks for that jimmy i will have a look at it tomorrow.

anskyber 23:27 22 Feb 07

Yes I agree. It is worth pointing out that in a recent review the One Care managed a score of -1.

That compares with the top score of 6 wich is the max.

Koochy 12:43 24 Feb 07

That is a very valid point thanks for that i think i will just have to go for a paid for version.
One other quick question i know i am going away from the main topic here but i have just read in the pca mag that norton 2007 has now had all its code re-written and its not so resource hungry anymore does anyone know if this is true or is it just symantec trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes???

Koochy

Jimmy14 12:47 24 Feb 07

It's true about NIS 2007 taking up less resources. Goes like wild fire on xp and the same on Vista.

anskyber 12:50 24 Feb 07

The reviews I have read suggest it is true. The downside is it requires a lot of space on your hard drive.

The basic requirement is 350MB! If you have the add ons like anti spam it goes up to a massive 450MB.

Not for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…