FineReader in Vista

kainos 16:17 15 Jun 07

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas for a work-around to make FineReader 7.0 (Abbyy's OCR program)work under Vista.
I have asked the publishers (Nuance) who just say that they cannot guarantee that it will work and suggesting that I upgrade to v.8.0. This will cost £60 odd, and I am reluctant to do this if there might be some way to make v.7.0 workable.

anskyber 16:31 15 Jun 07

Compatibility mode? click here

kainos 16:55 15 Jun 07

This sounds hopeful anskyber, however I'm afraid I don't know how to get to the point where I can select the compatibility mode.
"To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory and right click on the .exe, selecting Properties from the menu."
I have viewed the files on the disk but do not know how to locate the installation directory and so get to the point where I can right click and be offered the choice of modes.
An answer feels closer - thanks so far.

anskyber 17:18 15 Jun 07

The program compatibility wizard can be launched from Control Panel, programs, programs and Features, and click use an older program with this version of Windows.
OR

From the Start menu find the program you want to check and right click the start menu entry and choose properties. Choose the compatibility tab. select run in compatibility mode and follow the instructions.

kainos 17:47 15 Jun 07

I'm sorry anskyber, perhaps I'm just being slow here but as I am unable to download the program (it just comes up with the message "setup.exe has stopped working") I cannot get to the stage where it appears in the list of programs in the start menu.
I think you need to spell it out to me, if you have the time - thanks again.

anskyber 17:56 15 Jun 07

No your are not being slow, I do not have any immediate answers, sorry. I'll keep thinking however!

kainos 11:31 14 Aug 07

bump

captivetrill 21:53 14 Aug 07

Have you tried to run the setup.exe in administrator mode, I don't know if it will help to get the setup going but it might be worth a try.

kainos 16:43 15 Aug 07

Thank you for the advice captivetrill, but I am in administrator mode all the time. Sorry for the delay in replying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…