File transfer from dell xp to new hp windows 7 64

willy boy 17:34 22 Dec 09

I have just purchased a new HP pavilion pc with 64 bit windows 7. I would like to transfer as many files (photos, excel and word files as well as outlook emails and contacts) as possible to the new pc. I understand I cannot transfer programs but I have Microsoft Office Pro 2003 on disc. Should I install office on the new pc first? Has anyone used Windows 7 easy transfer and the recommended cabling? The new HP has a 640 gig harddrive that has a recovery partition, should I also partion this drive prior to installing programs. My 32 bit xp Dell has 2 hard drives, C: with programs, E: with data. I also connect to the internet by max 1mb. broadband with tiscali. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

john bunyan 19:25 22 Dec 09

Not an expert, but I recently installed W7 64bit - previously on XP- on a smaller HD. I partitioned my HD - total 320 gig into 50 gig for system, balance for data (I had C; for programmes and F: for data before)W7 has an "index" system that gathers info as to where files are, so I would suggest you copy the E: data to an external HD, then copy it in to the data partition of W7 - then "tell" W7 where to find music etc. I would install programmes first . I use pipex (tiscali) - W7 does not support Outlook express so had to get help to switch to Outlook 2007 - but you can get Windows mail. Do look up via Google how to transfer settings for e mail etc.

willy boy 17:43 23 Dec 09

John, many thanks for your timely response. I had considered purchasing an external drive as the easy transfer cable appears to cost circa £30 and will presumaably only be used once assuming all goes well!!! Any suggestions as to which program to use to partition hard drive?

john bunyan 21:28 23 Dec 09

I am not an expert but if you go into "Disk Management" there is a useful help index. I had an easier free partition manager on XP32 bit but I thin that you have to pay for 3rd party partitioning with 64 it. An external HD will be very useful for keeping back ups of both partitions - if you can stretch to it I would reccomend Acronis True Image 2010. Maybe others will be more specific.

willy boy 16:06 28 Dec 09

John, many thanks for your help and info, all is well I used the belkin easy transfer cable and will be purchasing an external HD soon for backups etc.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Windows 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of!…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to Draw Realistic Female Superheroes

Apple Q3 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone and Mac sales fall, overall revenue'…