File sharing between Vista and XP

shirgra 10:00 30 Dec 07

We have Vista Home Premium and a five year XP and can print from either computers on to an Epson R300 but have not been able to share files between them. My husband is convinced it is not possible as they are not compatible. I know some software cannot be transferred, but we are thinking on the lines of documents and photgraphs.
When I read that Vista makes networking so easy, we are wondering where we are going wrong.
If you can help, please make it easy in explanation. When I read some of the replies I just cannot always understand the terminolgy used.

anskyber 10:04 30 Dec 07

This is how it is done. click here for some people however it does not work and there is a suggestion that the service pack due in the spring of 2008 will sort things out.

I can share files between my Vista and XP machines.

Lee.C 19:55 02 Jan 08

If you go to click here it will take you through the procedure for setting up a home network (on both Vista and XP) one stage at a time. The fact that you've already got the printer working suggests that you've probably done all this - but it's worth checking just in case there's something you missed.

shirgra 11:18 03 Jan 08

Thank you both for your help in our file sharing problem with XP & Vista. I thought I had conquesred it, and got files from the XP on to Vista but not the other way around. After both of us had been on the computers I found I could no longer access the files without permission and when my husband went into his channel he got the same response, so we have done something wrong and are still trying to rectify. Will keep you posted.
Many thanks. Shirga

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…