Faster network speeds with Vista?

De Marcus™ 21:18 15 Sep 06

I'm quite happily dual booting the latest RC1 with XP Pro on a test machine.

The test machine is connected via a Router to the Telewest modem (10mb service), on XP I can download at a speed of around 1.05mb/s, when booted with vista, the same download seems to have an increased speed of around 1.3mb/s. To validate the difference I downloaded the same file 3 times on each OS, every time Vista had an increased speed and at one point told me I was getting 1.6mb/s?

Is it a case of pot luck with my isp or does Vista have some kind of network optimiser (which I doubt)?

Both installations are fresh.

De Marcus™ 00:42 16 Sep 06

Sorry, Vista doesn't have am increased speed of around 1.3mb/s (Iwish), rather it seems to consistanly have a faster download speed.

De Marcus™ 12:21 16 Sep 06

Any takers?

Ashrich 22:58 17 Sep 06

Have you actually timed the downloads ? Maybe as it's only a release candidate and still needs some optimising it might be misreporting ....

Ashley

terryf 02:30 18 Sep 06

My son has installed vista and reports a faster apparent download speed ( but could it be that Vista has tweaked the mtu settings?

sunny staines 16:15 18 Sep 06

huge speed increase with bulldog isp on a lynsky router,

De Marcus™ 20:13 18 Sep 06

a 100 mb file downloads consistently faster on Vista by around 20-30%. Time wise and speed wise.

I still don't get it? Vista hasn't got any special mind control powers which it transmits to my ISP to convince them to open the fat pipe a little more, or does it....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…