Fast shutdown

Gusto 22:20 PM 15 Mar 09

I installed an "instant shutdown" icon on my Vista PC. ie - right click desk-top/new shortcut/enter %windir%System 32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00.
This worked fine. However, when I tried to do the same on my friend's PC, I was met by
"Can't find %windir%System 32\shutdown.exe". The two PCs are identical and both bought 3 months ago.
What puzzles me is, as Vista has an automatic file checker, how can it "lose" a file that exists on an identical machine? Any ideas how I can replace the missing file?

BurrWalnut 19:28 PM 16 Mar 09

1. In your post you have a \ missing before System32.

2. Have a look in \Windows\System32 and check if the program shutdown.exe is present. If it is missing, there is another copy buried deep in \Windows\winsxs. Search for it and copy it to \System32

Gusto 21:20 PM 22 Mar 09

Many thanks BurrWalnut. I did indeed forget the first \ when I entered the file in my friends PC. Problem solved. I was intrigued by your reference to \Windows\winsyx. Although an avid reader of PC Advisor I had not met this extremely useful tip. Out of interest I tried a search for shutdown.exe (advanced, including hidden files) but failed. A manual search also failed. Perhaps an entry in PC Advisor would be generally wecome.
Thanks again

BurrWalnut 08:29 AM 23 Mar 09

The 32-bit version of shutdown.exe is in \winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shutdown-event-tracker-..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…