Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.

Farleyjim 12:45 PM 19 Nov 12

This is the first time this has happened to me.(Windows 7 Home Premium). I have been onto the Microsoft support page and followed various "cures" all to no avail. I have been into control panel and gone through the windows troubleshooting advice and it tells me that it has found and fixed problems with my Windows update and installed 9 updates. When I click to restart I get the same failure message at startup.It seems to recycle the startup procedure 3 times before it eventually gets to my desktop page, and when I look ar my update history there is a long list of failed installations. Any ideas, please?

xania 13:51 PM 19 Nov 12

This is similar to a universal problem in Windows 7 a couple of months ago. It may well be that a single update is causing the problems so its best to allow only one at a time. If all the others go through, you will be able to identify which update is causing problems and we can take matters from there.

xania 13:52 PM 19 Nov 12
  Farleyjim 09:18 AM 21 Nov 12

I managed to get by with installing one update at a time(pretty tedious) and this way I was able to see which update caused the problem(KB2685811). Still not sure why I had a problem in the first place, but at least I can start normally now. Thanks for all the replies.

xania 11:31 AM 21 Nov 12

Please can you tick this as resolved.

Farleyjim 08:30 AM 24 Nov 12

I think I spoke too soon! This problem has come back to haunt me. KB2685811 still tries to install despite me crossing it off the list in Control Panel/Windows update. I seem to be going round in circles. Is there any way I can tell Windows to ignore this update?

Costy 23:51 PM 25 Nov 12

Same thing happened to me and i tried all the above, i even uninstalled antivirus and loads of other programs, i tried to start windows in safe mode and install it that way, i got then TuneUp utilities to fix the problems...and many other things, every time i'm fixing it it works just for one restart and then it comes back like a nightmare.

lotvic 00:32 AM 26 Nov 12

You may wish to keep an eye on for when a solution is found.

Farleyjim 10:22 AM 26 Nov 12

Thanks everyone. Lotvic, I did look at that page and the only comfort I get is that so many others are having the same problem with nobody being able to resolve it. I am only moderately computer savvy, but I hesistate to start playing around without properly understanding what I am doing. I hate to think what will happen if it occurs on my wife's laptop! I cannot believe that so many people should have the same problem without a solution being found.

Costy 11:32 AM 26 Nov 12

Thanks for help guys, i have unchecked that update and hopefully it will be solved soon.

This is the error info that i gathered about it:

Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685811)

Installation date: ‎23/‎11/‎2012 00:47

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8007007E

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:

Help and Support:

MrDigital01 17:58 PM 15 Jan 13

That may be the reason due to the Internet connection as far as i concern. Better try your network settings or try to do manual updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…