Externally powered vs. Non Externally powered Hard drive

littleKiwi 04:10 10 Oct 14

Hello everyone this may sound like a very dumb question but I am interested in buying a USB3.0 Harddrive, which I want to be writing game footage on the fly to it. However is there any difference between read/write speeds of an Externally powered vs. Non Externally powered Hard drives?

Also could someone out there recommend a good 2TB USB3.0 External Hard drive with good Read/Write speeds for recording game play to.

Thank you!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 10 Oct 14

In general external 3.5 inch drives need power 2.5 inch drives don't.

Read write speeds are limited by the connection type esata, USB 3. USB 2. external power or lack of make no difference.

I am pleased with my USB3 WD MY passport drive comes .n different sizes / colours

wee eddie 15:26 10 Oct 14

I'll second that.

I've got a 1TB My Passport. It's neat and small enough to pop into a shirt pocket

BT 08:48 11 Oct 14

I've got one of those as well. Bought it to replace a powered LaCie drive which was overheating and causing crashes. The WD doesn't even get warm.

mole1944 07:54 12 Oct 14

Bt don't know if your aware but if you have a WD drive on ot attached to your system you can get a free but cut down version of Acronis. I use it to clone my drive and very dood it is to.

mole1944 07:54 12 Oct 14

sorry good,lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…