external HD

Blacki 14:07 13 Feb 09

Hi,
Recently i restored a pc back to its factory settings. Before i done this i backed up my stuff on an external hard drive. I left the external hard drive plugged in when i was restoring the pc.
But now when i plug in my external hd, my pc won't recognise it. Both my systems are running vista.
I'm not sure why this has happened. Any ideas
Thanks

rawprawn 16:17 13 Feb 09

If it's showing in Device Manager, uninstall the drivers and reboot
Also is it showing in Computer Management> Disk Management?

Blacki 12:02 14 Feb 09

Hi,
Apologies for not replying sooner. It is not showing up in my computer, but it is showing up in showing up in Disk management. But if i right click on it, i only get a properties option, which doesn't let me do anything.

Thanks

Blacki 12:03 14 Feb 09

Hi,
Forgot to say, i have uninstalled the driver and rebooted and still nothing

gazzaho 15:53 14 Feb 09

You need to right click on the rectangular box with the blue bar above it, where the drive letter is instead of where it says "Disk" this will give you options to change drive letters and format and such. Clicking where it says "disk" just gives offline, properties and help.

I've no idea why the disk isn't reconised, I myself had a brand new Buffalo external drive forget it was formatted as NTFS after resuming from sleep mode recently, which effectively destroyed all data on it as I had to re-format it. I'm guessing you will have to do the same.

Blacki 18:18 19 Feb 09

Hi,

If i click on the rectangular box with the blue bar above it, all i get is a help option. Nothing else.

gazzaho 10:06 20 Feb 09

If it doesn't work on both of your machines then I would guess drive failure, if you can't access or format the drive on both machines it would tend to rule out the OS as the problem.

It could be the drive enclosure itself, I owned 2 Freecom Classic 250GB external USB drives and had a similar experience as yours, although I turned mine off before XP re-installation though never disconnected them. When booting the system up after installation and switching the drives back on they refused to start altogether, I removed them from the enclosures and plugged them into the computer internally and they worked, so I bought 2 drive enclosures and they are sill working today.

If the drive is out of warranty and you can remove it from the enclosure it might be worth trying before discarding it.

Blacki 16:42 20 Feb 09

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.I downloaded a file from seagates website called Max Blast set up which found the harddrive and then assigned it a drive letter and formatted it for me. Its working perfectly now.

Thanks Again

Blacki

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…