External Hard Drive Problems

RE1772 10:06 27 Oct 07

I have just bought an HP Pavillion 6551 Laptop, pre-loaded with Vista.

I am getting used to the quirks (there are quite a few!!), but the one that I am struggling with is that none of my external IDE hard drives seem to register in my explorer.

I hear the familiar connection chime when i plug the USB in, but that is as far as it goes to install and make the drives visible.

Okay, it could be one specific make, but it happens (or doen't happen) on all 3 different makes..... help!

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:41 27 Oct 07

start-control panel-admin tools-computer management-storage-disk management and you should be able to see the drives. Right click on a drive that is 'hidden' and select change drive letter/paths...select any other letter preferably from the end of the alphabet..press ok and the disk should appear in my computer..try another letter if it is still hidden.

G

RE1772 16:53 27 Oct 07

Bingo!
Thanks Gandalf.

Very simple answer to something that just 'works' in XP.
This is the uphill battle that MS has to win over us!

Now a happy man

oceansoul0216 10:38 31 Oct 07

ive had the same external hard drive for about 2 months.. no it just stopped working. its a western digital 500gb. now when i go to disk management i get : disk 2 unknnown, unreadble... its totally dead. when i go to device manager i get the WD but no specifications at all. i dont care about the money but i do care about the information. i had 105 gb in music and more than 200 gb in video and all from my family. maybe anyone knows how i can recover the data at least. please help.

TomMoss87 14:52 13 Nov 07

You can try to access the drive through Linux to see if it is recognized there. Other than that, you could contact a data recovery company. I recommend ReWave Hard Drive Recovery because they are honest and affordable. I think their website is click here

Good luck!

MikeKa 22:34 28 Jul 08

I have a 500g WD external HD, I was moving some files on to it when the power to my computer went out and now my hd doesnt work. When i plug it in, it gets power and the light comes on but my computer doesnt recognize it in any way, and doesnt even show that i plugged anything in. Thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017