European Windows 7 without Browser

100andthirty 16 Jul 09

If Windows 7 is to be shipped without Internet Explorer, how does one obtain a browser? the obvious answer is that one should download it from the Internet. But without a browser, how do you do it?

Is there a way that doesn't involve using another computer an/or messing around with burning ISO images?

anskyber 16 Jul 09

Download it before you install and save to a device like pen drive or DVD then install after W7

AL47 17 Jul 09

i can see this being a pretty silly move for non tech people

BurrWalnut 17 Jul 09

Order a IE8 CD nearer October, click here

GaT7 17 Jul 09

"i can see this being a pretty silly move for non tech people" - I agree.

Be aware there's also a less common 'N' version available that doesn't some with Windows Media Player either click here:

'Does not contain an Internet browser or Windows Media player'

Not as bad as not having a browser - but BOTH missing may be a bit too much for some? G

mooly 17 Jul 09

Without a browser, would it still connect via windows update ?
And if so would IE8 be a recommended update ?

GaT7 17 Jul 09

"Without a browser, would it still connect via windows update ?" - I guess so, as Win7 RC updater doesn't seem to need one.

"And if so would IE8 be a recommended update ?" - good question :-), G

octal 17 Jul 09

Maybe they should put Firefox on it :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

octal 25 Jul 09

I was jesting about putting Firefox on it, but it could come true click here

sunnystaines 25 Jul 09

does windows mail in w7 have a browsing function?

I'm sure in the past outlook had something similar, this could be used to download a browser.

GrumpyTrucker 25 Jul 09

Nope, it doesn't. In fact, the RC version doesn't even come with WIndows Mail. The default is to use a web based email system (Windows Live Mail). You can download an email program which is like the next gen of Windows Mail but you need a browser to do it! So, unless you've previously downloaded a browser and saved it to some form of external device a new Windows 7 install will be stuck with no browser and (unless they change it in the final release) no email program.

Good thinking guys. Flipping EU. Knickers in a knot over nothing and now it's gonna cause a lot of confusion when 7 rolls out.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message