error problem

kev57 14:04 04 Mar 08

when I closed down my computer last night everything was working fine, today when I booted up it goes through the welcome screen and then I get a message on a black background say 'Cannot create system shell notification icons', in that window theres only an 'ok' tab but the documents folder is also open but no desktop or anything else, I've tried a system restore but alas it's still the same, please help.

anskyber 14:10 04 Mar 08

Try a start up repair click here for use with a Vista DVD

click here without a disc but expand the "how do I use Startup repair"

kev57 15:15 04 Mar 08

thanks anskyber I've tried everything from that link but still the same, it looks like a re-install is going to be the only cure (silent curse)

brundle 15:35 04 Mar 08

Is there a program title in the title bar like this? click here

kev57 15:45 04 Mar 08

Brunfle, its similar but the name tab on top of box is AINAP

kev57 15:46 04 Mar 08

oops sorry brundle, seems i cant spell today

brundle 15:47 04 Mar 08

Do you use Asus AI Nap? If so, boot in safe mode (if possible), uninstall or disable it, reboot.
Do you get a start menu if you press the Windows key?

kev57 16:04 04 Mar 08

cant get to desktop for start and I am using Asus

brundle 16:08 04 Mar 08

Not even in safe mode?

kev57 16:26 04 Mar 08

I give up, cant get a desktop in safe mode so it looks like I'll have to re-install. Thanks to all that tried but its driving me round the twist, What I cant understand is why should it go haywire without loading any new apps or hardware, all I did was turn off and leave it overnight, still it'll keep me out of the pub for a few hours

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…