Error 0x80070490 when U/G from XP -WIN 7

premier man 13:10 12 Jan 10

I am trying to upgrade from XP to Win 7 with Upgrade disc,but when it starts running it comes up with error 0x80070490
can anyone help please
gordie

premier man 13:54 12 Jan 10

It says <Windows setup cannot find a location to store temporary files,make sure a partition on your boot disc has at least 686MB of free space>
what can I do?

a member 14:41 12 Jan 10

go into disk mangement ,resize (reduce) your main drive , and create a partition at the end of your drive ,say 1gb or larger .
resize will shrink your partition (with your xp on) you can select what size ,it wont allow you to shrink it too much .

premier man 15:24 12 Jan 10

merlinx
Thankyou very much appreciated
gordie

james105051 18:33 12 Jan 10

My understanding is that an Upgrade from XP to 7 using the upgrade disk is not supported, see

click here

I think you will need to do a "Custom Install" which is in fact a format and clean install.

premier man 08:27 13 Jan 10

james105051
Thanks,all sorted.I did a custom jnstall and am nqw up and running cheers
gordie

Technocrate 10:46 26 Feb 10

During an upgrade from XP to Win 7.

Before W7 erases XP it creates a Windows.old folder for your programs and data.
So you can if you want to restore back to XP.
The error not enough space, could be that your XP install with programs and data is larger then 21GB free space.
I would suggest you move your My Documents and any other large folders to a backup device.
This should give you more space.

Technocrate 10:27 13 Apr 10

I receive the exact same error message, alto I am trying to install from within Vista (and from what I've read, you have to have Vista SP1 installed to do the upgrade). I have this. I have a dual boot system, with the OS's on separate drives. When I boot to Vista, only the C: drive is visible (the drive with XP is hidden, so I don't think this is a problem). I first tried burning W7 to a disc and booting from that. The error I received there directed me to restart Windows normally and install from within it. I tried this and received error code 0x80070490. I then created a small partition on C: thinking, as the error stated, some space for installation files was needed. With this partition in place (labeled Z I tried again, only to receive the same error code.
I am wanting to simply upgrade Vista; I don't like it and would be happy to use W7, even as a beta. I not dot want to do a full installation, as I want to keep my files. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any expertise in this would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…