Email from Windows Mail not working

Pineman100 16:10 21 Jul 07

My wife's new Vista Home Premium laptop (only a week or so old) connects to the internet via our Belkin wireless router. My XP SP2 Home PC does the same. The two computers are also networked with each other.

For a few days my wife was able to send and receive emails normally. Now, suddenly, when she tries to send an email, she gets the following error report:

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: her email address>, Protocol: SMTP, Port 25, Secure (SSL): NO, Socket error: 10061, Error number: 0x800ccc0e."

I have run several internet searches on this error, which appears to be very common. There are plenty of suggestions available for solving the problem in Outlook Express (that don't work for various reasons in Windows Mail), but I can't find anything about solving it in Windows Mail.

Her laptop is still able to connect to the internet normally, and to network with my PC. I've tried disabling her security software (Norton 360 - Windows firewall is switched off) but this had no effect. I've tried using System Restore to go back to the day before the error arose, but it failed to restore - I've no idea why.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem, please?

Pineman100 18:11 22 Jul 07

^

skidzy 21:02 22 Jul 07

In my experience Pineman,Windows Mail is affected by the MS updates...i never got to the bottom of it all.

Check your pop and smtp settings first.

My issues was resolved by installing Incredimail click here
Some like this,some dont...personal choice i guess.

Pineman100 09:10 23 Jul 07

I have checked the server settings - in fact I have deleted and recreated the email account twice already. No joy.

Thanks for the Incredimail suggestion. However, does it integrate with the Contacts list on the Vista desktop Sidebar? That is a very useful feature and my wife doesn't want to lose it.

crosstrainer 09:13 23 Jul 07

Check your routers' firwall settings, these can often prevent mail from working correctly.

Pineman100 09:22 23 Jul 07

Thank you for that suggestion.

I presume the settings you mean are what Norton 360 calls the Firewall General Rules? If so, then I have a problem, because I don't understand all the various initials, acronyms, etc. for what is permitted and what isn't!

Is there one particular setting that I should be looking at?

crosstrainer 09:30 23 Jul 07

Norton was not what I meant, but it is also well known for causing problems you describe...Try disabling the Norton Firewall itself (in the Norton settings)

If that fails to cure this, you will need to access your routers admin screen (looks like a web page with address along the lines of 168.192.1.1) and then disable the routers built in firewall. refer to the routers manual or helpfile for exact details on this.

Pineman100 12:54 23 Jul 07

... thank you! I hadn't thought of the router's firewall. I'll try that later (when I've finished painting the bedroom ceiling!).

Pineman100 13:07 23 Jul 07

Sorry - I've just had a thought. Email is working fine on the other computer (which shares the wireless router). Would that be evidence that the problem is not in the router's firewall?

crosstrainer 13:24 23 Jul 07

If the other computer has a direct (hard wired) connection then maybe not...as long as you remember to re-instate at least one firewall, you should be fine.

I have a Dlink router, but the built in firewall is very fierce, so rather than fiddling with the settings all the time, I disabled it, and use the windows firewall instead.

Norton could still be the issue, it's well known to be aggresive.

Pineman100 18:28 23 Jul 07

OK, thanks, Crosstrainer. Both computers talk to the router wirelessly, but I think I'll spend a bit of time poking about in both Norton and the router, to see whether anything there could be at the bottom of this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…