Email programs crash when trying to save or add attachments

xntryk1 22:31 13 Jul 14

Just recently (within the past couple weeks), my email programs crash whenever I go to either save an attachment from an incoming email or try to attach something to an outgoing email (Win7 Home Premium SP1). It says “Windows Live Mail (2011) has stopped working” and then it crashes/re-starts. Every single time. The exact same thing happens with Mozilla Thunderbird, so it's not just a WLM problem.

I've tried System Restore to no avail. I've also tried performing a clean start-up via msconfig. No difference. Obviously something is conflicting whenever I try to access folders from email programs - but NOT from any other angle. I can still go to folders via Windows Explorer with no problem. But even from there, if I try to send something by email via right-clicking on the context menu, it STILL crashes the email program.

Any help great appreciated. Thanks.

rdave13 23:49 13 Jul 14

Security programs clashing maybe. How many AVs are you running?

xntryk1 00:18 14 Jul 14

Just Avast and Windows Defender - the same ones I've been running for years with no problems. Even so, I wondered if updates to these programs might be causing the problem. So I disabled them (while offline). Still the problem persists... :-(

Secret-Squirrel 08:32 14 Jul 14

"......my email programs crash.......... It says “Windows Live Mail (2011) has stopped working”

A couple of things you can try:

1) Boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" and try your attachments again. If you don't have a problem then there's probably something running in Normal mode that's interfering with your email clients.

2) Windows "Event Viewer" may give more details and enable you to pinpoint the exact cause. Before you open it, generate an error and make a note of the date and time so you can find the specific event easily. The event should then be at the top of the list under Windows Logs -> Application. Double-click an event to see the full details in a new window. There's a handy "Copy" button there so paste the details here.

xntryk1 14:57 14 Jul 14

Thank you, Jock1e. I neglected to mention that I had already tried that as well (prior to installing/testing T-Bird). It didn't help.

Also, thank you Secret-Squirrel. Here's the read out from the Event Viewer when I tried to save an email attachment (I'll try the Safe Mode thing as soon as I'm done with other stuff on my computer):

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-07-14T13:41:01.000000000Z

EventRecordID 103033

Channel Application

Computer Mark-VAIO

Security

• EventData

wlmail.exe 15.4.3555.308 4f59707e unknown 0.0.0.0 00000000 c000001d 00000000

xntryk1 16:14 14 Jul 14

Well, this is interesting. I just tried the reboot in "Safe Mode with Networking". Then I tried to start WLM and got this error message:

“Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. (0x80041161)”

But then I went back to regular mode and it started right up (still with the same attachment problem, though). Also, I still have 62+ GB of free space on my hard drive and almost always stay under 50% usage of my 8GB RAM.

I'm wondering... could the rather large amount of files/folder I have in WLM be the problem? But if so, why would I have the same problem with Thunderbird (that had virtually NO files or folders)? Curioiser and curioser...

Secret-Squirrel 17:58 14 Jul 14

"EventData: wlmail.exe 15.4.3555.308 4f59707e unknown 0.0.0.0 00000000 c000001d 00000000"

That doesn't seem complete. Is that all the Event Data? If it is then it doesn't tell us anything useful at all :(

If that is indeed all there is then get Thunderbird to crash and see if Event Viewer yields any proper clues.

I'm not sure what happened in Safe Mode. Did you also try Thunderbird while you were there?

xntryk1 18:19 14 Jul 14

I deleted T-Bird after it acted the same as WLM. I'll re-install it and see what happens.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that was everything in the event windows. But I'll try it again (too), just to be sure.

xntryk1 18:35 14 Jul 14

Shouldn't that have been an automatic update from MS? I wonder why it wasn't...

Secret-Squirrel 19:05 14 Jul 14

xntryk1, while you're in Event Viewer see if any other errors were logged at exactly the same time as your WLM crash. Don't forget there's a Copy button which you can use to paste the entire event details here.

xntryk1 19:09 14 Jul 14

Isn't that something that should be automatically updated via MS update? I wonder why it wasn't...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac