email checking

marble 18:38 13 Aug 08

I have 3 addresses with my ISP - the main one is in my name.

I have noticed a few times that when checking emails that Windows Mail will ask for user name and password.

I usually ignore it and find that a day or two later it will decide to check the address that it wanted the password for.

Today it is annoying me somewhat as I can't check my own emails (I am the main account holder). I even tried to check them online with my ISP's website (virgin.net) and I can't log into my e-mail account - (although I can log into other sections of the website with this info) I enter user name and password and I just end up back at the log-in screen.

Any words of wisdom from anyone on the subject?

mgmcc 08:13 14 Aug 08

If you cannot access your mail either with Windows Mail or from Virgin's website, and are definitely using the correct Username/Password, then it sounds as though it's a problem with Virgin's authentication server. If that's the case, you can only wait for Virgin to sort the problem.

Having said that, I have a Virgin "dialup" account, used only for its email address, and a Virgin Cable (ex-Telewest) broadband account and haven't had a problem accessing either of these mail servers. You could contact customer support and see if any areas are experiencing email problems.

Esc4p3 09:04 14 Aug 08

I also use Virgin.net and have been having the same problems downloading email. I went to their status update pages and email had a red light against email, and some text saying they were working on the problem. I could access mine via webmail, although my wife could not. Will just have to wait until the sort the probs out.

Esc4p3 09:12 14 Aug 08

Checking the status today, the problem seems to be fixed..... click here

Esc4p3 09:15 14 Aug 08

sorry, ignore me. If I log into my account on virginmedia.com and select status page there is still a red light against email. DOH!

marble 11:18 14 Aug 08

Oh yes - I see it now :-) Oops I must have been mind boggled yesterday and forgot about checking the status page!

Yes - it looks like a case of just being patient.

Thanks for the reassurance folks.

Esc4p3 15:45 14 Aug 08

We've just had a service email from virgin.net as follows:
"We apologize for the email service interruption that you have been experiencing since yesterday. We continue to work to get you full access to
all your mail as soon as we can. In the meantime, you now have access to new, incoming email through webmail only. Old mail (if you stored it on the server), is safe and you will see it once service is fully restored.

You can send mail as usual.

Until email is fully restored, you will not be able to use desktop email programs like Outlook Express to send or receive email. Once email service is restored, you'll again see your older mail in webmail (if you stored it on the server) and your desktop email program will begin working again as usual.

We appreciate your patience as we work to restore full service. "

marble 16:42 14 Aug 08

Thanks for the update Esc4p3, much appreciated.

I see the status page has it flagged as amber now.

Will try and see if I can get through on webmail for my messages.

Thanks again.

marble 07:31 20 Aug 08

I see Virgin's service status page is showing all green lights now but I still can't get my e-mail through Windows Mail.

I guess I will have to get in touch with them now.

Esc4p3 10:22 20 Aug 08

Yes, would suggest you get in touch. Everything is ok again our end, has been since the weekend.

marble 14:58 20 Aug 08

Funny - I checked Windows Mail this morning and no joy - just checked it again a couple of minutes ago and it asked me to log in to my account and ...voila .... it worked.

Thank goodness for that :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant