DVD player won't work in Vista

trevorp5 18:00 28 Jun 08

help needed! I recently built a new machine - O.S. Vista 32bit. Since then my internal dvd drive-Optiarc AD-5200A ATA -will not work -spins up ok then nothing! (worked fine in XP Home ) Device Manager reports it as working properly - I have flashed it to latest drivers (today) still not working.( It is correctly set to Region 2) When a disk is inserted message ' Computer not responding ' and another message ' Windows Explorer is not responding ' and all icons disappear from desktop - when disk removed all returns to normal ! I can now only and record and play disks using an external usb drive. I have all Windows Updates loaded - including SP1. Would greatly appreciate a solution. Regards to all. trevorp

mrwoowoo 21:23 28 Jun 08

Was xp home originally installed on this pc?

trevorp5 00:24 29 Jun 08

XP only installed on this machine to use Vista upgrade software XP Home was installed on another machine - this was where dvd drives were tested, and worked OK.

mrwoowoo 16:27 29 Jun 08

Try to uninstall it in device manager, reboot and let windows "reinstall" it.
Also right click the drive in device manager and check that it is in dma mode, not pio mode.

trevorp5 17:03 29 Jun 08

Have already uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed - no difference.Both IDE channels are enabled in both the BIOS and Device Manager and the drive's protocol is set to "DMA". IDE cable has been replaced. Drive Configured as Secondary Master (not by CS)-No secondary slave. Am completely stumped !!

skidzy 22:13 29 Jun 08

Hi Trevor
Ive noticed you have posted over at Tech support with limited response.I have an idea for you to try;

Disconnect the slave hdd (if im reading correctly) and connect your optical drive to the ide cable that connects your master hdd to the mobo and try again.If the dvd drive now works,its your configuration within the controllers and jumpers.

trevorp5 01:11 30 Jun 08

Many thanks Skidzy - problem solved ! I have just done as you suggested - have both master hdd and dvd on primary ide, and dvd drive working perfectly. Your help is very much appreciated
Best Regards Trevor

skidzy 17:42 30 Jun 08

No problem Trevor,please dont forget to tick resolved as this may help others in the future.
Glad to be of help.

trevorp5 17:52 30 Jun 08

Ok, have just ticked resolved. Again many tnx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…