Dumping norton

jaimie 18:15 15 Jul 08

I have two ACER desktops PC's which came loaded with norton, I have dumped that and installed AVG version 8 with no problems. I recently purchased an ACER laptop which also came with norton, I went through the uninstall routine and all seemed OK except it would not remove live update. AVG reported that norton was already running even though It was removed. In the end I installed AVG anyway and it seems OK, anyone else had this trouble with norton?

Regards

James

brundle 19:08 15 Jul 08

LiveUpdate doesn't interfere with anything itself but I'd still run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of unnecessary leftovers. click here

jaimie 19:00 16 Jul 08

Hi Brundle, thanks but because I have removed the main norton programme the removal tool can not work as it requires the product key which of course I don't have as it came with the laptop already loaded. I used add/remove programmes to remove it and I guess that was a mistake. The only part left is the live update notification which just won't go. I'v run system restore to no avail. The odd thing is that the security centre reports that norton is present and correct and protecting everything which is pretty amazing since it's not there. I have installed AVG which did report that another anti-virus product was present but it has installed and is working so I guess I just leave it as is.

Regards

James

brundle 20:23 16 Jul 08

Norton Removal Tool has never needed any product key any time I've used it - the only thing I recall about that is the reminder to make a note of it if you intend to reinstall. I just ran the latest version on my entirely Norton-free system and only had to type in the CAPTCHA style code to get it to work.

Diversion 14:35 21 Jul 08

You may have uninstalled Norton but if it's like using Norton Ghost v.11 it will have Live Update as a seperate item in the Add & Remove Programs, that also has to be removed or the system will think that Norton is still present on your PC.

jaimie 18:13 21 Jul 08

Hi Diversion, thats just the trouble the live update notification just won't go - uninstall doesn't work. I guess I'll just leave it there

Regards

James

MCE2K5 20:19 21 Jul 08

Have you seen this 'Removing LiveUpdate after Add/Remove Programs does not work and no other Symantec products are installed' click here

Dr. Charles(retired now) 21:30 22 Jul 08

Look in your C:/ in my documents and you will find a norton "Key" file delete that and that should solve your problems - - -don`t know why the uninstall key didn`t work
Best
Charles :)

jaimie 21:55 22 Jul 08

Thanks MCE2K5 I followed your instructions and it worked, Thanks to everyone else for help

Regards James

peter99co 22:01 26 Jul 08

I notice that Vista is not in the Norton Tool?

rdave13 00:25 27 Jul 08

click here . On my laptop with Vista home premium, used the 2008 uninstaller and worked a treat with Norton Security Suit disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…