Dual OS: Vista and ME

bluegreen 16:01 18 Feb 07

I intend to purchase a new PC with VISTA and hard drive of up to 500 GB. My current software contains a number of programmes such as customised databases which will not be compatible or upgradable to run on Vista. So I will need to run them on ME for the foreseeable future.
How can I partition my HD with Vista installed so that I can run the two operating systems and use other drives to store data (in FAT and NTFS format)?

LastChip 18:05 18 Feb 07

Partitioning your drives isn't a big problem. Almost any third party software will do the job for you. Partition Magic springs to mind as it's probably the best known, but any others would do. You can choose to format each partition in any format you like that's supported.

Loading an older operating system is much more challenging. If you mean you want to operate a dual boot machine, then it would be normal to load the OLDER system first on drive C: and the NEWER system on one of the remaining partitions. The newer system would then pick up the old and offer a boot menu at start-up.

I'm not certain if maybe a boot manager like Boot Magic would serve your needs. Vista's a new animal and it's quirks have not yet been fully discovered.

The other option would be to use Vista as a base for operating a virtual server. You could then run as many virtual machines (together) as you wished of whatever flavour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…