Dual boot total failure

norman47 20:01 31 Aug 07

Compaq presario c310 booted up to both XP and Vista fine this morning. When switching on this afternoon to the default O\S of Vista home premium it loaded as normal through the sroll bar and when attempted to load desktop the display went completely askew. It was if the refresh rate was set to high. I rebooted into vista safemode and looked for my carefully set restore points, they had vanished.

I powered down restarted and tryed to open the XP partition. This operated in the same way as Vista but did not get to desktop. As soon as it had done a couple of scroll bars the images on the screen quadriples and it was impossible to use the screen, giving the appearance of to high a refresh rate again. So I then tryed to open XP safe mode, the same.

Nothing would load correctley so time to do a non destructive loading of XP via the F11 start up key. This it said was a success but when the machine rebooted it would not go past the loading screen for windows and when tryed in safe mode it gave the information of " the operating system is not fully installed"

So I then tryed the same with the Vista installation disk. This give the option to R repair the O\S. I took this option and Vista ran it's files checker to the hard drive. 5 minutes later it said it was successfull. When rebooted the O\S stopped at the loading screen. So I went back to boot from the Vista disk and choose new install. The disk went through the motions and gave the same result as not getting through the scrolling screen.

Time to get serious so I booted with my self made Compaq restore disk and picked destructive install were the hard drive would be formatted and prepared prior to the installation of XP. It went through all the motions and still give the distorted graphics. No go, same with destructive install of Vista.

I have taken out the hard drive and reseated.

Started with a 98se floppy and ran fdisk. All the drives are NTFS except for the recovery fat32 partition. All seem fine and fdisk won't touch them. I have done a fdisk/mbr etc when there.

I am going to now download the UBCD and killdisk all NTFS partitions.

Any other suggestions please on what to try?

System is

Pent 1.6ghz single core
2Gb DDR ram
onboard graphics
no usb devices connected.
all windows are bang upto date.

prevx2.0
Avira AV
spywareblaster
windows defender

norman47 20:05 31 Aug 07

Everything is backed up and I have acronis.

On trying to reimage the drives the system locks up and fails.

norman47 20:10 31 Aug 07

The bios has the feature to thoroughly test the SATA hard drive with a full scan, this took the regulated 65 minutes and came back clean.

norman47 23:54 31 Aug 07

Zero'd both NTFS drives and imaged acronis back to the drives. same failure.

Zero's drives again and loaded via my own restore dvd's. Kept going so far and blue screening. Finially got it loaded and checked the system. microsofts KB88742 was corupt, downloded a fresh version and installed.

The computer is back to A1 OK. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac