Dual Boot MBR

sil_ver 12:55 13 Apr 07

I'm running WinXP and decided to have a look at Vista to check if it was compatible with my system and to try out any drivers that are available just to see if it was worth upgrading.
Sadly altho' it's very pretty it's not worth the hassle as the most important thing, my BT Voyager 2091 wireless Modem/Router will not work with it (Keeps saying 'unable to connect to 192.168.1.1' which is the standard for setting up the Modem I believe. Anyway I booted into XP and re-formatted the drive I'd installed Vista on. The problem I have now is I'm still getting the boot option screen to boot either Vista or XP. I've looked at the Boot.ini file in XP but it is set as the only O/S. I guess there must be another hidden file or registry key somewhere that needs modifying. Any ideas appreciated.

Pine Man 14:34 13 Apr 07

Boot from your XP disk and go to the repair console where you can type fixmbr which will repair your boot up sequence.

sil_ver 15:02 14 Apr 07

Tried you suggestion but it made no difference. Tis a puzzlement

ashdav 15:09 14 Apr 07

As Pineman said above but do fixboot first then fixmbr.
After rebooting into XP go to My Computer and click on drive C.
Delete the two files Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK (vista installed these and are no longer needed).

sil_ver 16:34 14 Apr 07

Thanks ashdave that sorted it.

ashdav 01:27 15 Apr 07

As an aside I tried Vista and came to the same conclusion as you "very pretty but not worth the hassle".
It doesn't offer any more functionality than XP but gives more fiddling about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…