Drive Letter Limit?

olyman 15:56 PM 05 Aug 09

Is there a limit to the number of drive letters allocated to drives?
I have just bought a USB SDHC Card Reader.
I previously had drive letters allocated from C to M
When I plugged it in I found I had lost a partition on my external HD as the device had used one of the partition letters - the external HD had not been switched on.
In Computer Management I found that the external partition had been changed to N but it didn't show up as such in Computer. I got the partition access back by changing the drive letter to it's former designation . The USB reader then showed up as N in Computer management but was not visible in Computer.
I have now changed the new device letter to A as I have no floppy drive.
I can now access all drives and card readers from Computer. I should explain that I have two internal drives with partitions C,D and E, a built in Card Reader using G,H,I and J, external drive K and L, two DVD drives F and M and now the new Card Reader A. All now show in Computer but Reader A does not Auto Run.
As I will be using the Reader for photo access so I really need it to Auto Run.
Any suggestions or explanations would be welcome.

OTT_Buzzard 17:06 PM 05 Aug 09

Almost sounds like a power supply issue???

olyman 19:25 PM 05 Aug 09

AutoRun now works, not sure why!
All the drives are working so power not a problem.
Still puzzled by having to allocate to the unused "A" designation. Only"B"left now

Sea Urchin 00:41 AM 08 Aug 09

You may find reading through this interesting

click here

olyman 09:03 AM 10 Aug 09

Thanks Sea Urchin.
I now have the full alphabet at my disposal!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off