Drive errors on windows 8 dual-boot

georgemackey86 09:41 AM 20 Apr 13

I am running a HDD with windows 8 32-bit, & a SSD with windows 8 64-bit. Whichever drive I select, my two data HDD's show errors, e.g recycle bin corrupted, or they are simply missing data that was there when loaded via the other platform.

All drives are cleanly installed, & AHCI was selected in the BIOS before installation. I need both versions, as some of my vital 32-bit programmes won't work with the 64-bit W8 & vice-versa. I use the BIOS to select the platform that I want to use, & they seem to boot up just fine.

Can anyone suggest a cause & solution please?

jaywoo 16:19 PM 23 Apr 13

Your two Windows installs and user accounts will have different security IDs associated with them. If the data drives are formatted NTFS (and they usually are) the ownership/permission to access the data files will depend on which Windows 8 install and which user account you used to create or manipulate the files. You can try creating a FAT32 partition to share data, which won't have the same security issues but is a less robust file-system than NTFS. Recycle bin problem is due to the same issue - they're system folders and one OS isn't allowed to access the recycle bin created/used by the other.

georgemackey86 18:06 PM 23 Apr 13

Thank you very much Jaywoo. I shall create the FAT32 partition & try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11