does active X matter?

palinka 14:06 PM 17 Jan 13

An elderly friend who brings me all her computer problems is currently worried about a message that she receives when she receives emails. As follows : "One or more Activex controls could not be displayed because..... ".

I thought we had cured it by changing the security settings on her pc, but not so - she received same message again when she was making a reservation at a hotel., but 4 other emails received at the same time were OK.

I’ve told her to ignore the message ( she is a great fusser) but that I would check it out

northumbria61 16:44 PM 18 Jan 13

Usually mail websites do not use activeX. You should avoid using such websites. However, it seems you are using IE. Go to Tools- Options, Go to the Security Tab and choose Default Level for the Internet Zone. That should prompt you for a question to "Run the ActiveX" instead of blocking it. Be careful with allowing ActiveX controls. They could be malicious.

palinka 17:09 PM 18 Jan 13

thanks very much; that's helpful.

I have already advised her to choose default level in IE.

Her OE is vista and she uses Windows Mail.

I will visit her and check on her settings in general.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites