Documents and Settings folder - Access denied

Peter Sharp 13:48 10 Jun 14

I can no longer access my 'Documents and Settings' folder, each time I try, I get a message saying 'Access denied'. I tried running a search for files I know are within that folder, but the search just seems to bypass that folder altogether. I tried a system restore, but that didn't help either. HELP!

john bunyan 19:19 10 Jun 14

The thread below is primarily for XP but it may help:

My Documents

john bunyan 19:20 10 Jun 14

For Windows 7 See:

Windows 7

alanrwood 20:43 10 Jun 14

In Win7 it is a dummy folder there to maintain compatibility with older software. You should never need to access it.

lotvic 23:14 10 Jun 14

You were never denied access to your data. You just failed to look in the proper place. For explanation of 'Junction Points' and the 'Access Denied' read the post #20 by 'logicearth' 27 Jan 2011 on sevenforums.com

Table of Junction Points and where they point to (Table says Vista, but is same for W7) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…