Documents and Settings - Access Denied

Beresford 16:16 21 Oct 07

My loverly new laptop came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I have created some template letters in Works, and now want to put shortcuts to them on my Desktop. How do I get into Documents and Settings\'username'\AppData\Templates in order to create the shortcut? I have tried all sorts of permissions but still cannot open the Docs & Settings folder.

beynac 17:07 21 Oct 07

"Documents and Settings" is just a shortcut. The Works templates are at "Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Template".

You will have to "show hidden files" to get there.

skidzy 19:44 21 Oct 07

If you are still having problems with access to the files after Beynac's advice,try taking ownership of them.
click here

This will add a simple menu item by right clicking the file/s in question.

Once you have taken ownership,try creating the shortcut by right clicking the template and create shortcut.

BurrWalnut 19:44 21 Oct 07

To add to what Beynac said :-

You would have noticed that the word ‘My’ has been dropped and the location of XP folders like Documents & Settings and History are no longer in the same place. They are displayed when ‘hidden files’ are displayed but they are ‘Junctions‘, i.e. they are there for historical reasons so that old programs that would normally use them are redirected to the new Vista locations. Junctions can be recognised by having a little curly up-arrow like a shortcut and cannot be accessed.

The examples above are now in \users\username\appdata\local\microsoft\windows.

In Vista you can see a list of these folders using a command prompt. Go to Start, type cmd and press Enter. Now type DIR /AL (Note the space and the Capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter. The results will be a list of all the Junctions for the user folders, showing the name of the old XP user folder and the name of the new folder in brackets.

Beresford 20:03 21 Oct 07

Thank you all for your help and advice. The problem is no longer a problem!

skidzy 20:15 21 Oct 07

Can you post the solution please,this may help others with similar issues.

beynac 21:09 21 Oct 07

Thanks for the link. That's a useful tool.

skidzy 21:20 21 Oct 07

your welcome,and yes it is very handy especially for those with UAC enabled and have a few problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…