Disposal of Hard Disc Drives

Jaded1 21:15 10 Jul 14
Answered

Hi. Is there a definitive neat way to dispose of HDDs with no risk of stolen data: but without going to extent of drilling, use of club hammer etc. For example is it possible for a determined villain to remove the discs? T I A

rdave13 21:30 10 Jul 14

If you're not a member of MI5 or even the late MFI, then just open the drive up, using a screw driver, and separate the discs, score or heavily buff them with wire wool.

Build a bonfire and insert in the hottest part.

If still usable drives then put in a caddy, connect to PC and use Ccleaner to wipe.

or killdisk click here doubt many other ways, electronically or physically.

No

Mr Mistoffelees 21:32 10 Jul 14
Answer

Some information here about securely erasing data without resorting to physical destruction.

rdave13 21:34 10 Jul 14

Last sentence should read, after the last link," No doubt many other ways, electronically or physically."

I forgot you need two spaces after a link is posted for the sentence to make sense here.

rdave13 21:37 10 Jul 14

Mr Mistoffelees , I'd go for Killdisk, then an acid bath. H2SO4 would be the best I think.

lotvic 13:02 11 Jul 14

...and a cold shower ;p

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 11 Jul 14

Just had a SATA drive fail on me

hit it 3 times with a hammer (mainly out of frustration) and threw it in the bin.

rdave13 19:19 11 Jul 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , did you hammer in the morning, hammer in the evening, all over this land ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:13 11 Jul 14

rdave13

:0)

birksy 10:19 26 Jul 14

Why NOT use a hammer? Strange! Anyway, unless the intelligence services are after you, why would anyone want YOUR data? I just used a pair of side cutters to cut off the circuit PCB.

lotvic 21:31 26 Jul 14

Ouch, you gave it 'the snip' - nearly as painful as a hammer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…