Display driver not responding

sueann1 21:19 01 Apr 08

Every time I seem to use Windows Movie Maker and Roxio copy and convert 3 my screen goes blank and I get 'the display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered' what does this mean? I always have to close WMM and re-start it and it is annoying if I am converting over night 'cos it halts my converting. I am running Vista Home Premium. Thanks for any advice.

anskyber 22:45 01 Apr 08

A number of possibilities.

Let's try the easy one first. You obviously have an nVidea graphics card. Look to see if your card has an updated driver.click here and/or

Vista usually offers updates to video drivers though updates. If you go to Control Panel then select check for updates. If nothing, in the left pane choose change settings and make sure that recommended updates and update service are ticked. If they were not then do the check for updates again.

Post back here if this does not help, there are other things to check.

mrwoowoo 22:48 01 Apr 08

Several people have reported the same problem with vista.
click here
First,i would uninstall your gpaphics driver and reinstall the latest version.
You could look in control panel>problems and solutions to see what caused it,and if any other drivers need updating.
Strangely enough,even a network card can cause this if it's driver needs updating,as it happened to me.

sueann1 09:50 02 Apr 08

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
I have just noticed that SP1 has popped into my update folder so tonight I will download that, I am certainly not technically minded not even sure what a service pack is but reading back on some posts am I correct this may solve my problem with drivers?

anskyber 10:01 02 Apr 08

Yes it could.

Also do check your update settings as I suggested above.

If you still have trouble after that + SP1 then post back here. Good luck.

sueann1 20:13 02 Apr 08

SP1 didn't solve the problem, infact WMM has been blacking out left, right and centre tonight. I downloaded the new driver (sprouted a few grey hairs when my desktop re-arranged) I will see how it runs tonight and tomorrow and will report back. I am up to date on updates.

anskyber 21:57 02 Apr 08

OK.

There is another possibility if you continue to have difficulties, a hardware fault. It is unlikely but possible. RAM is often the culprit.

Vista has a built in checker. If you decide to use it be patient but it may reveal whether your RAM is defective, click here

sunny staines 07:19 03 Apr 08

anskyber
good link, saved.

sueann1 10:51 05 Apr 08

Thank you everyone for your help, problem now resolved by downloading the new driver.

sueann1 10:53 05 Apr 08

Sorry, forgot to click the resolved box :-) so here goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced