Desktop shortcuts changing appearance in windows 8

rellis1007 02 Jun 13

I recently bought a new laptop with windows 8. Rather annoyingly when I add shortcuts on the desktop to my favourite web sites they change their appearance from the company logo provided by that web site to a picture of a globe for all web site shortcuts so that they all look the same.

I know I can change this appearance from the library of logos provided but how can I stop this change happening in the first place and retain the company logo please?

It seems sometimes that windows 8 gets too cleaver for its own good.

Thank you

Richard Ellis

rdave13 02 Jun 13

Windows 8 isn't clever. It's an OS. In IE select the tab, which has an icon, and select to favourites. Or if you've chosen to show the favourites bar select the tab and click on the star with the right facing green arrow. From the list from favourites or the favourites bar drag and drop to the desktop. If the page has the IE globe as an icon, such as this site, then it won't work.

rellis1007 02 Jun 13

Thank you rdave13. I've managed to change half of the icons this way. Much better.

Richard Ellis

rdave13 02 Jun 13

rellis1007 , thank for the feedback, even though you only managed half of them. Try doing it with another browser?

rellis1007 03 Jun 13

will do, thanks

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message