Desktop not loading, files and programs won't open

Djehuti 16:23 27 Apr 14

I recently renewed my free Avast subscription. That seemed to go ok but since then the desktop won't load properly - after the welcome screen it stays on 'preparing the dektop' for a while, then the desktop looks weird (black, most icons missing) and I get an error message, C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer...etc.' - and when I try to open a document folder it says 'can't start server process because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the name and password.' Any help will be much appreciated!

northumbria61 16:36 27 Apr 14
  Djehuti 17:16 27 Apr 14

Thanks, but I can't try either of those because I can't get into any folders - it says 'the server process could not be started' - so I can't look in the desktop folder, and the start search box (to look at msconfig.exe) isn't working so I can't do a clean boot. Also Avast keeps saying that a program is trying to close it down.

lotvic 20:46 27 Apr 14

Try a System Restore to a date when it was okay, From the Command Prompt in Safe Mode click here

wee eddie 09:47 28 Apr 14

1st: have you tried opening in Safe Mode?

2nd: Is Avast the only Antivirus you have installed on the PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…