Desktop icons split into two groups on different screens

OCRT 13:21 PM 03 Nov 12

I have a powerful Gateway computer that drives two monitors directly and three additional monitors via Diamond USB to VGA converters.

After installing Windows 8, I find that my desktop icons have been divided into two groups and displayed on two separate monitors. My main screen has half of the icons and the other half are on a different screen.

I can laboriously move each icon from the different screen to the home screen and resort. But when I reboot the computer, they are again split into two groups and shown on two screens.

Forum Editor 12:21 PM 06 Nov 12

Do you have the taskbar showing on both monitors? I'm not sure if this will work, but you can set your display so that the taskbar only shows on your 'primary' monitor. It's worth a try, just to see if it fixes the problem.

If you right click on the taskbar and select 'properties' you can play around with the settings. I haven't encountered your particular problem so far, it's still early days, hence my lack of knowledge regarding a quick fix.

OCRT 13:10 PM 16 Nov 12

I tried your suggestion. It didn't work.

Since then, the problem has gotten worse. I downloaded a few additional programs. The system placed the icons for these programs on my main monitor. That means that my desktop icons are now spread across three monitors.

I would love to be able to return to Windows 7 but apparently this is a very time consuming task. I'd also love to be able to get a refund of my purchase of Windows 8, but I gather this is out of the question.

woody 16:46 PM 16 Nov 12

OCRT - At least i can make a (Clean) suggestion for win 8 - sell it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…