Desktop icons keep moving

Seadog 01 May 11

I am running two pc's through a KVM switch (usb/DVI rather than VGA) one using Win 7 professional and the other Xp. When I switch between machines, - i.e. back to the Win 7 pc from the Xp pc, the icons on the win 7 pc have changed position.

It only seems to affect the icons on the left side of the desktop, icons I have across the top and in the bottom right corner stay where they are - I re-arrange them and then they change as I switch between pcs - I try to have two columns of icons but this gets split across the middle so I have a "block" of three columns at the top and two columns at the bottom with a gap in the middle!

Difficult to explain really, but it's annoying as the icons also change position with each other so I have to look each time to find a particular icon.

It doesn't matter what settings I have for the icons (align to grid etc) I have tried them all and they keep changing, it's obviously something to do with the usb KVM switch but I was wondering if any of you clever chaps know of a setting or something in Win 7 that might help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message