The dependency service or group failed to start

Cedric Harper 09:16 AM 18 Mar 12

Hi All

Was going to ask for advice to help me instal SP1 prior to upgrading to Win 7 but now I have another, more pressing problem.

In attempting the various workarounds for SP1 I ran SFC/scnow and Chkdsk. When I ran the latter it identified various errors on the disk that it couldn't fix and suggested using the f fixit function which I duly did.

After restarting I found that I had lost internet access. When you hover over the icon you get the message above. I've done some research and tried running the Netsh Winsock Reset line at the command prompt but to no joy. I've also tried system restore but when I try this I am told that there are no retore points!

In device manager I do have a yellow symbol next to one of the devices so guess I may have to uninstall and then reinstall drivers. Hwever, I'm worried about doing this as I won't be able to search for the new driver as no internet!!

Sorry this is so long but you can probably tell I'm desperate. I'm only able to use the net as I dual boot and thankfully good ole XP is working fine as usual.

I'd really appreciate any advice or fixes for this.

Many thanks

Simon

BTW I use Vista Home 32 bit

Cedric Harper 09:45 AM 18 Mar 12

Hi Update

The device manager yellow icon is a red herring. Just realised that it related to a VIA card I once installed and now removed. I think the main network drivers are fine (Intel 82566DC-2).

If I have trashed my TCP/IP settings I wonder how I reset them?

Thanks again

Forum Editor 13:04 PM 18 Mar 12

You shouldn't have to reset anything - if you use a broadband router it will use its Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) service to automatically assign an IP address to any computer that is connected to it.

Cedric Harper 17:43 PM 18 Mar 12

Hi

I have BT Infinity with HH2. Since carrying out the fix recommended by Windows itself I now have this status next to the internet symbol in the system tray and I definitely cannot connect to the internet.

There is nothing wrong with the router as all lights are blue and normal.

This is obviously a Windows issue and I was hoping I wasn't the only one to be in this predicament.

Cedric Harper 20:03 PM 18 Mar 12

Hi

Update. Tried Netsh malarkey again to reset "stack" but no good.

Also tried repair on Vista CD but no good.

Unable to try repair by pressing F8 as I'm asked for password which I don't know and didn't create.

I just can't conceive how such a catastrophic failure can have occurred when only using Windows tools!

Forum Editor 22:22 PM 18 Mar 12

Try this:-

Click Start. Go to Programs, then Accessories and highlight Command Prompt. Right click and select Run as Administrator.

At the C:\ prompt, type in the following commands:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add

(then hit enter)

net localgroup administrators networkservice /add

(then hit enter)

Reboot your computer.

Cedric Harper 08:23 AM 19 Mar 12

Hi

Thanks for suggestion. Entered both those lines and confirmed succesfully updated etc.

Unfortuntately still have the dependency or group failed to start and no internet with Vista.

Intrigued to know if other folk have used and had probs with Chkdsk f fixit. The only thing it fixed was my internet access whcih has gone kapoot.

Cedric Harper 18:20 PM 19 Mar 12

Further update

I tried the Services tab from within Computer Management and the Network Location Awareness option was shown as stopped. I tried to restart but got Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start!

Guess I'm own my own on this as no one else with Vista had had the misfortune of using the Chkdsk fix F routine.

Thanks

Simon Sudbury 18:54 PM 31 Mar 12

Hi

Is there no intel on how to resolve this issue?

rdave13 19:42 PM 31 Mar 12

Check, in services, that COM+ Event System is started and set to automatic. Run the system file checker (sfc /scannow) link.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…